New Delhi: India’s largest commercial lender State Bank of India (SBI) is offering its its Jan Dhan account holders accident insurance cover up to Rs 2 lakh if they apply for ‘SBI RuPay Jan Dhan Card’. “It’s time to put yourself on the road to success. Apply for SBI RuPay Jandhan card today,” SBI said in a tweet.
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) is a national mission for financial inclusion to ensure access to financial services, namely, banking/ savings and deposit accounts, remittance, credit, insurance, pension in an affordable manner. PMJDY accounts are exempt from maintaining an average monthly balance, said SBI.
As per SBI, the customer has to swipe their card once in 90 days to avail the accidental insurance cover of up to Rs 2 lakh.
Who is eligible to open Jan Dhan account?
Any Indian citizen, whose age is 10 years or more, can open a Jan Dhan account. You can also transfer your basic savings account to the Jan Dhan Yojana account.
Documents required for opening PMJDY:
1. If Aadhaar Card/Aadhaar Number or proof of possession of Aadhar is available then no other documents are required. If address has changed, then a self-certification of current address is sufficient.
2. If Aadhaar Card is not available, then any one of the following Officially Valid Documents (OVD) is required: Voter ID Card, Driving License, Passport & NREGA Card. If these documents also contain your address, it can serve both as “Proof of Identity and Address”.
3. If a person does not have any of the “officially valid documents” mentioned above, but it is categorized as ‘low risk’ by the banks, then he/she can open a bank account in a Bank Branch by submitting any one of the following documents:
- a) Identity Card with applicant’s photograph issued by Central/State Government Departments, Statutory/Regulatory Authorities, Public Sector Undertakings, Scheduled Commercial Banks and Public Financial Institutions;
- b) Letter issued by a gazette officer, with a duly attested photograph of the person.
Minimum balance amount: NIL
Maximum balance amount: No upper limit (For fully KYC compliant account)
Special benefits of Jan Dhan account
- Interest on deposit.
- Accidental insurance cover of Rs.1.00 lac (Rs 2.00 lac for new PMJDY accounts opened after 28.08.2018)
- No minimum balance required.
- Easy Transfer of money across India
- Beneficiaries of Government Schemes will get Direct Benefit Transfer in these accounts.
- After satisfactory operation of the account for 6 months, an overdraft facility will be permitted, subject to eligibility criteria.
- Access to Pension, insurance products.
Under this scheme, account can be opened in any Bank Branch or CSP Outlets. Note that joint account can be opened at branches only.